Reading is a skill that needs to develop early with children. Be it the simple Amar Chitra Katha or the Harry Potter, all of them do one thing, they engage the children. They are the source of imagination, creativity and knowledge. The added bonus? A fantastic vocabulary. Whether one reads them in the mother tongue or English, books are the primary loyal friends one can make. Books are not merely the saviors during times of boredom, they are also what will motivate one to cultivate interest in academics.
Paperless society is a total myth. The modern society has seen the acceptance of gadgets and tablets that replaced books. But there is also a sect of people who have held on to books dearly. Haven’t we experienced the familiarity of the hold, the turning of the paper and the smell of the new book are all the little package that come with reading. But to feel this and impart this sense of shared feeling, it is high time we start educating our children, the importance of reading.
While all of us do emphasize its role in the later years, we definitely have missed out how to get this started with children. Some of the schools in Bangalore, have understood the importance of this and have materialized their ideas.
Teachers of the Best IB schools in Bangalore have taken up this small mission to motivate children to read. Here is how it becomes effective.
- Read: If are to tell them to read, we need to read to them first. Reading loudly to the kids has a positive effect on them, that will further motivate them to read. Whether for information, pleasure or academics, read to them. That’s essential!
- Share experience: Share your reading experiences with them. Tell them what you have gained from reading certain book. Recommend them some books and weave stories around it interestingly, in a way that will want them to read it,
- A read-athon: Sounds new? Basically, get your students to re-read their favourite books and ask them to tell others about it. Invite children and parents and let them intervene and ask how a particular book is interesting. Let them give their opinions. Promote an environment for a healthy after discussion.
- Book clubs: Hold book clubs in your school and let the students socialize around reading. Let the students interact around texts and let them challenge each other to take up books and explain it to others. Most of all, allow them to share the books with each other. This will become a fun activity and will also enhance their articulatory and comprehension skills.
- Invite authors: You could invite small authors to speak to them. Ask them to read their book and encourage them to interact and question the author. This way, the students will understand what reading between the lines actually mean.
The way ahead
The way ahead is a way that will be filled with experiences and knowledge gain. The simple act of igniting the mission can ignite several minds to reading. One of the most under rated pleasure is the pleasure of reading. It takes you to a world of imagination and a world of different kind. Give them access to this world. Make way for reading, and the other elements of learning will make way for itself.