The meaning of learning is now positively changing. Starting from rote memorization to learning through black board instructional teaching, learning has taken a huge leap today. What is fascinating being how the ground rules have never changed, of making learning a better experience. With this in mind, the strategies used and the measures undertaken have improved and increased rapidly and significantly. Technology also has the potential to act as a major tool in terms of connecting with younger generation and as a pedagogical tool. Take a look at why Schools in Hyderabad are taking this initiative seriously.
What are the prospects?
There is a reason why technology is now being taken seriously and practiced in many schools. The government too has realized the need for it and has taken steps to include them in the educational sector. But, why at all?
- Fostering engagement: The immediate result of technology-based learning is craving space for an interactive and passionate learning. It is always interesting and easier when you study geography with Google Maps or Google Earth, than through a simple picture that is given in a text book. Children the world better with real world examples than through simple images or diagrams.
- Enabling real world learning: Concepts are retained better in memory when the kids can relate their learning to real world case studies and examples. An internet facility in classroom will thus quickly put them in touch with such real-world scenarios.
- Simulation: How exciting would it be to actually see the mechanism of different machines and how they work, or even the planetary movements? How a cyclone forms or how the dinosaurs lived can now be explained with modelling software. Thus, the access to learning is now enormous and unlimited, coupled with excitement and fun.
- Working groups and competition: Technology provides a ground for students to discuss and debate on various issue. Online mock tests and quizzes are a great way to pump up the motivational level, thus increasing the amount of learning they take away. Opinions on major issues and smaller debates are a sure way to learn, that children will learn to listen from others and receive feedback from them. Working groups will help to create such groups for interactional spaces.
- Role of the teacher: The role of the teacher is reduced to that of a coach, who provides support and guidance. Teachers also help in academic training, problem solving and in decision making. Guidance is essential for a safer way to achieve the goal.
The role of technology in classroom is truly multitude. What goes without saying is the students are always the gainer. Their experience is made better and the shift of teaching from the traditional methods is sure another excitement that the students will look forward to. While all of this is kept in mind, the schools are also aware of the risks involved in this. Teachers have always been the mentors who monitor the students to make sure they are using the technology the right way. With limited and sufficient access to technology, we can be sure that nothing will ever go wrong.